Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Making-of Toshiba Satellite Star Video

Just last month, I was told to submit my personal story to a PR company, 
about my road to pursuing my passion. 

So i did, 
and I'm proud to say that i've been selected as Singapore's representative 
for Toshiba's Satellite Star Campaign! 

Some of you might already have seen this video on my facebook (:
Finding my Voice - Be a Satellite Star 



BE A SATELLITE STAR CAMPAIGN

This clip was launched together with the all-new Toshiba Satellite M840
(as can be seen, my gleaming gold blaze laptop on the right-hand lower corner of the youtube still),
with the aim of reaching out to youths in the South East Asia (:

"Be a Satellite Star" campaign encourages youths to share their stories,
and gives them an opportunity to celebrate and showcase their passions, interests & inspirations!



My story was the first to launch, 
followed by story of Adina, a traditional Indonesian dancer, 
and lastly Nattaphon, an art teacher in Chiang Mai who draws to touch lives of the less fortunate. 

From now till 31 July, anyone can submit their stories to http://58.65.23.50/contest/,
Selected entries will have their stories produced and featured, just like mine!
More on how to enter the contest in my next blogpost (: 


THE MAKING-OF 

I had a blast filming with the professional crew from Upside Down concepts, 
they did a great job in ensuring that my filming goes well, 
i was afterall an onscreen virgin! 

Everything in the video is a true reflection of what i've been doing during the past few months, 
they shot at places where i perform/compose music,
even at my humble abode! 

One fine morning, 
the crew came to house for some scenes..

Nathan the director/producer giving me a lowdown on 
what i'm supposed to do in this scene.

Giving myself a look of conviction/reassurance 
while dressed in "on my way to gig" outfit. 
Conviction to me meant, just SMILE (:

Here's a shot of me typing my lyrics in on the toshiba laptop,
which btw was really the lyrics of my new English original "One-Way Train". 

Zoom a little further out and here's nathan hard at work, 
shining the light on me. 
Now you know that what you get on screen didn't come easy..
Salute to behind-the-scenes heroes!
 The upward shot 

 Hanging with the filming crew & folks from Sparkfury in my living room.
Here i was supposed to pack my stuff up 
(shown during the ending of video), 
with a "i'm-going-out-for-a-gig happy face" *quote nathan lol
 Featuring my sponsored Tocco Tenero brown bag! 
 Typing my "resignation letter" in my corporate outfit. 
I dare say the real-life resignation was more daunting than this, 
and a disclaimer i don't usually look so made-up at work.
My ex-colleagues would know how wretched i look with my specs
in the wee hours of the morning. 
i'm just not a morning person!

We had a couple more outdoor scenes at the CBD area, 
CD shop at Great World City and even at Switch where i perform every Thurs with alfred (: 

The last scene ended off with a shoot at Thunder Rock School, 
my usual song-writing hideout with Deon. 
For weeks, we actually hung out in one of the rooms, 
writing hooks and melodies,
I swear Deon is a songwriting saviour! 

So i decided to rope him in the shoot, 
to let people better understand how we usually do it. 

Preparing for shoot at Thunder Rock School
 A mock scene of how we usually song-write, 
minus all the crap/nonsense/burps that Deon usually spouts during our songwriting session, 
i was definitely not used to his seriousness during the shoot, 
thus the smirk. lol.
Yay it's a wrap! 
Deon looks like a girl here, you're so pretty!  

The day ended with me recording the voice-over for the video,
yes that was my voice!

A few shoutouts/thankyous i would like to make..

To folks at Sparkfury, thank you
Lizhen for being so patient and tolerant with my requests. You're really nice to work with and not to mention completely understanding (:
Felicia for being the cutest thing, and also for being similarly patient with my requests!
Alf, Mabel, Dave & Frankie for ensuring that all goes well and that i'm comfortable with the content of the shoot,
ex-jc mate kerrin kua, for the awesome recommendation!

To the folks at Upside Down Concepts, thank you
Nathan for your guidance during the shoot
Huiwen for all the coordination work and chats we had about music, diving etc.
Lawrence also for being ever so accommodating, and being the senior i never had back at in nanhua secondary! (:

To Toshiba, 
thank you for the awesome opportunity to help share my story with others!



Time to share you stories people!
Stay tuned on how to join the contest (: 

1 comment: